The excellent situation of the “comarca” of Pla de L’estany enables Mas Rovira hosts practising various activities within a short distance…: rowing on the lake, VTT routes, paintball, dirigible.
All these activities can be practised nearby… The other “comarcas” are of easy reach from Porqueres, and many places are worth visiting. So hereby you will find some indications to guide your sightseeing:
1. Sea route (40 km): From Banyoles, take L’Escala direction, where Catalan cooking and the quality of beaches will be appreciated. At a few kilomètres from there, it is interesting to visit the ruins from Empuries, where the foundations of an ancient Roman city are being preserved and are recognised as one of the most important of the region.
2. Volcano route (52.5 km): From Banyoles, we rapidly accede to the middle ages town of Besalu, situated at a few kilometres only. Of Roman art, Besalu combines elements of earldom tradition with details from the Jewish community that once lived there. The bridge is worthy of interest. Then follow Castellfullit de la Roca direction, a village constructed on rocky cliffs. Olot and La Fageda d’en Jorda à Santa Pau can be visited afterwards. There begins the natural volcano zone of The Garrotxa , the biggest volcano chain of Europe.
3. Mountain route (103 km): This route has two main places of interest; the first one is Camprodon, with a visit of little villages as Llanars, Mollo, Setcases, interspersed with roman art details. The second place of interest is in Vall de Ribes, through Sant joan de las Abadesses. In Ribes de Freser, you can take the « cremallera » train which goes to the valley and sanctuary of Nuria, high mountain landscape which is characteristic of the Pyrenees.
4. Girona (17 km):Visit of the town Girona, capital from the « provincia », and whose cathedral of Jewish inspiration is worth seeing and represents the centre of one of the most important communities of Jews . The walls which go through the town are also worthy of interest. Do not forget the other side of Girona, a modern place with restaurants, play areas, shopping, cultural exhibitions.
5. Ruta “Dalí Triangle”(128 km): Visit of the 3 places where Dali lived and developed his work. The first one lies in Figueras where Dali built the Theatre Museum Dali known all over the world. The second place concerns Port Lligat in Cadaquès where Dali spent most of his artistic life, and where we can visit the astonishing house that he built. Last but not least, the visit of Pubol is interesting insofar as it corresponds to a castle that Dali offered to his wife Gala.